This week's film was presented by The Catlow Theater in downtown South Barrington. Jess and I have been to this theater a few times, which includes one of the most serious sandwich shops we've ever enjoyed. The fun part is that you can bring the food into the movie. It's hard to convey how large these deli sandwiches are, so I took some pictures. Even the pictures can't convey the layers of goodness in the sandwiches, but here they are anyway. I always get the "Dagwood" (Ham, turkey, salami, swiss, 1000 island dressing, tomato & lettuce; stacked high on a kaiser or onion roll). They also have some great popcorn that's less expensive than the usual movie theater fare. But back to the sandwich, I literally cannot get my mouth around the whole sandwich in one bit...plus it is already cut in half. It is like two immense sandwiches. It boggles my mind every time.



Now to the film...
I was quite impressed with "Into the Wild."  It had a lot going for it in my opinion.  There was amazing cinematography, great acting, and lot of genuine, honest thoughts bouncing around as a bonus.  The story, which I will leave to your viewing, is a remarkable one in this day and age. It left a lasting impression that was not easily shaken after the film was over.  I like films that explore remarkable lives and circumstances that reach for the heart of things.  But what is interesting about this film is that it knows that this young man's devotion and quest for truth is complicated and can lead to mistakes.  Sometimes we can be so devoted to an idea or personal conviction that we lose sight of the truth of relationships.  Sometimes finding who you are in this world can blind you to simple truths.  Anyway, I don't want to get too deep, but the film is a great exploration of living simply and getting back to basics.    

I took some photos with my phone of the theater as well.  They have some fun movie picture on the walls.  The place has a lot of character.

The Catlow in 1930







1 comments:

aww... i'm nostalgic for borington. hahahaha... if i recall correctly, the catlow is in downtown regular barrington? not south?

March 11, 2008 at 5:51 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home