Danielson: a Family movie (or, Make a Joyful Noise HERE)
This film an interesting exploration of what Christian music should be doing. Daniel Smith, with his siblings and friends, is really trying to engage with all people and challenge them with the Christian life. He works outside of the "Christian music industry," so that he isn't just making music that is for Christians. He is attempting to make music that glorifies and worships God. He uses the creativity God gave him to explore new musical paths.
Most people I have played this group for have been unsure if they like it or even know what it is they are listening to. It definitely takes some getting used to, but if you give it a chance it kind of gets in your head to become quite catchy. One thing you should understand especially in watching this film. Daniel Smith is really more of a performance artist that simply a musician. Jess found him very eccentric and weird, but I appreciate his artistic originality and integrity.
Anyway, this is a great film for a challenging look at "Christian" music and what it means to be a Christian artist. Plus, I actually do really like their music. Also, watch for an appearance at the end of the film in the last performance for my friend Evan Mazunik playing keyboard with the Danielson Familie. He is a super amazing multi-talented guy and I am thankful that he is using his talent in such creative ways. Check out his site: http://www.evanmazunik.com
He didn't even pay me for that plug.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm eager to see this; it's buried in our Netflix queue at this point . . .
The Aesthetic Elevator said...
December 20, 2007 at 9:49 AM